I have a confession to make in relation to my recession post, in case I inspired any of you to make changes or feel guilty about things that you buy, I have to come out and admit I fell off the bandwagon and bought not 1 but 5 food magazines this week. To make matters worse I actually bought the one I like the least(Food & Wine) twice, don’t ask!! I could have bought a new cookbook for this but the weather has been so bad and there’s nothing to do…………. PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I did make a really nice bruschetta with mushroom, spinach and goats cheese last night from Olive magazine and it was absolutely delicious so I don’t feel so bad now.
With the weather being so bad myself and the princess did a bit of baking again, if every summer is like this year she will become one of the best bakers in the world . I have never seen it so bad, it’s got to the stage where I am just thankful if we have a couple of hours without rain now, my dreams of seeing the sun have gone. It really hit me how bad it has been when we had a “little” sunshine the other morning and the princess had to cover her eyes when we went outside as it blinded her, it wasn’t even that strong but she’s just not used to it, it has been so grey:(
Anyway to brighten our day we made these delicious chocolate cupcakes and they were absolutely fantastic if I say so myself. Bru loved them and being Italian he’s not really into cupcakes and the likes so that’s telling how nice they were.
what you need:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g golden castor sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 115g self raising flour
- 35g cocoa powder (I used Green & Blacks)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cold coffee (I used espresso)
- 50g melted chocolate
- 30g unsalted butter softened
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 200g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp hot coffee
- beat the butter and Castor sugar together with an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
- gradually add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and stir in with the cocoa. Add a pinch of salt.
- add your milk, coffee and melted chocolate and mix well together.
- divide between the paper cases and bake for 20 mins. Cool out of the tray.
- to make the frosting just mix all the ingredients together, spread on top of the cakes and decorate with white buttons.
I’m surprised I actually had any mixture left after the princess and her interfering hands:
Once again I was amazed by how easy it was to make them, I think we tend to convince ourselves that things are harder to do than they actually are. There is one thing I do hate though – THE WASHING UP, my lord there is some amount of cleaning up afterwards, this probably has something to do with a certain 22 month old though:)