Ok it’s official I’m gone baking mad since I had this baby. I’ve always cooked but never really bothered baking but to Bru’s delight it’s my new hobby. I started with fairy cakes, then went onto cookies, then muffins and today I made my masterpiece – A STRAWBERRY AND MASCARPONE TARTand I have to say it turned out delicous. I am going to get sooooo fat, no size zero’s in this house. I’m supposed to be losing the muffin top not adding one.
Anyway it was so easy to make and would be perfect as a dessert for a dinner party as you can make it that day and it doesn’t require any cooking (good times). All you need is the following:
– 9″ cake tin with the pop out base (I got mine in TK MAXX for only 4.99 – BARGAIN!!!
– 250G OAT COOKIES OR DIGESTIVE BISCUITS – I used the oat cookies for a change, got them in Superquinn
– 250g STRAWBERRIES SLICED THINLY
– 1 TBSP(DESSERT SPOON) CASTER SUGAR
– 1 LGE EGG
– 2 DROPS VANILLA EXTRACT
– 250G MASCARPONE CHEESE
– 75g BUTTER
HOW TO MAKE THIS FABULOUS TART!!!
CRUMB – melt the butter in a saucepan
– put biscuits into a plastic bag and beat the crap out of them with a rolling pin until they are powder ( good for stress relief, I would never imagine it’s bru’s head.
– mix with melted butter and spoon into the tin, smooth and press firmly but not too hard. Put into fridge until base is set.
FILLING – seperate the egg and put yolk in bowl with sugar and beat until thoroughly mixed. ( takes a few seconds)
– beat in mascarpone until you have a custard coloured cream. I just did it with a dessert spoon.
– beat egg white with small whisk until it’s stiff???? and fold into marscapone.
– spoon onto biscuit crust and place sliced strawberries on top and refrigerate.
The verdict – “my best one yet” Nigella, watch your back girlfriend!!!
p.s. this is a Nigel Slater recipe!!