We love this time of year because lamb is in season and there is nothing tastier than spring lamb cooked simply with rosemary and garlic served with something light on the side, in this case french bean salad. I got really excited around March and took myself and the princess off to Superquin to buy some organic spring lamb which should have been succulent and tender at this time of year. But it was not to be, it “was tough as old boots”.
So last week I said I’d try again and I explained to the head butcher about my last experience and asked him nicely what he thought of the lamb at the moment, he didn’t take too kindly to this and told me very abruptly that it was very good and that I was the only one who had complained. Firstly I wasn’t complaining I just didn’t want to waste a lot of money again and have my dinner ruined and secondly he knows a lot more about meat than I do. I find this with supermarkets, you can’t ask about the quality of produce without them thinking you are an awkward customer even though I have to say I do find Superquin a lot better than others. This is why the Farmer’s Markets are doing so well as the sellers are passionate about what they do and there is always the personal touch with the customer.
Anyway I bought the lamb and although not as tender as it could be it was still much better. I know they talk a lot about Irish lamb but I’ve never had lamb as good as I’ve had in Italy. I think they slaughter them at a younger age (sorry to all you vegetarians) but it’s what happens there. It is so tender and the only way to eat it is with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt – delicious.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- spring lamb chops
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves picked
- clove garlic finely sliced
- olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
What to do:
– I like to marinate my lamb for about 30 mins before I cook it.
– in a bowl mix your rosemary, garlic, a couple of glugs of olive oil and dip your chops into it or just pour over.
– season with salt and pepper and leave to marinate.
– cook on a hot grill pan to personal taste. We eat ours pink!!
– remove your chops from the pan and add a little water and bring to the boil to give you a really tasty sauce to pour over your lamb.
– serve with patate arrosto and french bean salad.